Saturday, July 26, 2008

Apparently, My Son is Not Advanced









On Monday Hayvn turns 2 months old, so this past week we had our 2 month appointment with good ol' Dr Bravo. We love Dr Bravo. All in all the appointment went really well. Our little bug is up to 9lbs, 4 oz (that's almost 4 pounds in 8 weeks!). Dr. Bravo thinks he's doing perfect, but even more important, Dr. Bravo thinks he's the cutest little guy ever (at least this is what he says and I believe him). We got some shots, which, while they were hard for bug were also pretty hard on mamma. Probably not good for us both to cry, but I didn't want the little one to cry alone.

Anyway, once again another doctor appointment finds us being scored. Only 2 months old and Hayvn's already being judged against his peers. Well, little bug, while gaining perfect weight (over an ounce a day!), was told that he falls in the 10th percentile for weight. This bascially means that 90% of other 2 monthers are bigger than him. humph. he also falls in the 5th percentile for the size of his head and 25th percentile for his height. These are not impressvie numbers apparently.

Lucky for me, my son was born a preemie. Normally, being the woman that I am, I would be worried over figures such as these. I would be wondering what I'm doing wrong that's making my son so small. But, since having him early in a "need to get him out now" kind of experience, I've really had to let go of expectations. He's a unique one, my son. And he does stuff on his own terms. As I said before, my son is not advanced. BUT he is healthy, happy and, to quote Dr Bravo, the cutest thing ever. As he starts to smile more and more, i fall more in love with my little perfect man. He's teaching me to put down the baby book with all its 'milestone' garbage and let my Hayvn be Hayvn--sans the pressure to be some amazing baby who does everything early. He'll let me know when he's ready to giggle, hold his head up and sleep longer than 2 hours at a time. And I'm alright with this.

oh, but if one more stranger tells me how tiny my baby is, I'm going to punch them in the throat.





Our son falling in the love with the outdoors

6 comments:

Jenn said...

don't worry guys.. it think that scale is based on London's weight, height and head. So your son is probably normal :)

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Tiny schminy. I think Hayvers should punch the strangers in the throat.
My nephie is perfect.

Davenports said...

Jen--Amen, sister! you're darn right he's perfect!

Jenn A--Aw, London wouldn't be london without all his kissable roundness! We love big and beautiful too! :)

Excellent Parent said...

HEy Josiah had that percent of a head, honestly little heads look better than big ol honken ones. you know the ones were they take over the enterier boy and they cant sit up becuase they are so overpower by there head! yeah little heads are awsome. Josiah was always in the 90% in weight becasue he was a fatty fatty fatty! You boy is awsome, plus being early, he is pretty darn amazing!

Anna Ingalls said...

you have the right attitude about it girl. I think he's chunkin' up not so tiny. I mean look at those cheeks and thighs.

skylana said...

its so cute to be little! trust me, i've been little my whole life. ha... ara was cute and all, but it felt like her baby cuteness faded fast as she was in the 96th percentile for EVERYTHING from like 3 months.... huge. she's finally just evening out to the 50th percentile... except her head is still 96.. yikes. at least she's seems to be super smart... so there's a reason for that big ol head :)